CORE 100 First Year Seminar: Non-Linear Storytelling
Xavier University, Spring 2019
Course Description: From Choose Your Own Adventure style books, to text adventures/interactive fiction, to visual novels, this seminar explores the art, methods, and history of non-linear storytelling. We will explore works where your choices have consequences and introduce the tools (Twine, Inform7, etc.) used to write your own.
I developed and taught this 16 week credit course that covers the following topics and activities:
- Literary theory: What is a text, literature, story?
- Academic research, both in the library and out
- The history of non-linear stories, both print and electronic
- Character, plot, and story development
- Writing in second person
- Using software
- Major projects
- Research paper and presentation
- Annotated bibliography
- Complete non-linear story