Basic Computer Classes
I developed curricula for the following computer classes that were adopted by the Lane Libraries system-wide. I personally facilitated dozens of sessions at multiple locations.
Complete lesson plans (.pdf)
- Computers for Beginners 1: Mousing Around, Desktops, and the Internet
- Learn the fundamental skills that every computer user needs to know. Topics include recognizing the different parts of the computer, how to use a mouse and keyboard, what the differences between hardware and software are, navigating the desktop, and searching the Internet. No computer experience required.
- Computers for Beginners 2: What’s in the Box?, Internet Searching, and Files
- Learn about what goes on inside your computer, how to search the library catalog, find good information on the Internet, and save files. Basic computer skills (using a mouse and keyboard) are required before taking this class.
- Word Processing for Beginners, Word and More
- Learn the basics of the word processing in this introductory class. Topics include typing skills, changing font sizes, working with margins, copying and pasting, and more. Skills learned in this class can be applied to any word processing program. Basic knowledge of the mouse and keyboard required before taking this class. Some typing experience helpful, but not required.
- Spreadsheets for Beginners, Excel and More
- Learn the basics of spreadsheets in this introductory class. Topics covered include formulas, columns, rows, cells, merging, and more. Intermediate computer knowledge (using menus, coping and pasting, finding files saved on the computer, etc.) is required before taking this class.
- Presentations for Beginners, PowerPoint and More
- Learn the basics of of building a slideshow to be used to supplement a presentation. Topics covered include the basics of slides, inserting content, animations and transitions, and tips on giving an exciting presentation. Intermediate computer knowledge (using menus, copying and pasting, finding files saved on the computer, word processing, etc.) is required before taking this class.
- Computer Tutor (Ongoing Event)
- Tech Center staff provides individualized assistance on computer basics, word processing, downloading library books, using your digital camera, editing photos, basic Web development, 3D printing, and more. Call to make a one hour appointment!